Author:John Hutton Balfour
|←Author Index: Ba||John Hutton Balfour
|Isaac Bayley Balfour.Scottish botanist; one of the editors of the 'Annals of Natural History' and of the 'Edinburgh New Philosophical Journal,' father of |
This author wrote articles for the Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB9 by the initials "J.H.B."
- Biographical Sketch of Dr. Golding Bird (1855)
- Biography of J. Coldstream Lond. (1865)
- Sketch of D.T.K. Drummond prefixed to 'Last Scenes in the Life of Our Lord' (1878)
- text-books went through numerous editions
- Manual (1848), revised (1860)
- Class Book' (1852)
- Outlines (1854)
- Elements (1869)
- Botanist's Companion (1860)
- Botanist's Vade Mecum
- Guide to the Royal Botanic Gardens, Edinburgh (1873)
- Obituary Notice of Charles Robert Darwin, published in Transactions & Proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh
Works about BalfourEdit
- "Balfour, John Hutton," in Dictionary of National Biography, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., (1885–1900) in 63 vols.
- Balfour, Isaac Bayley (1913), "A sketch of the Professors of Botany in Edinburgh from 1670 until 1887" in Oliver, Francis Wall (ed.), Makers of British botany: 280–301.
- Despite the title, this is primarily about John Hutton Balfour.