For authors with similar names, see Samuel Johnson.
Biography, Criticism, Lexicography, ProseEdit
- Life of Richard Savage (1727)
- A Complete Vindication of the Licensers of the Stage from the malicious and scandalous aspersions of Mr. Brooke. By an Impartial Hand (1739) (anon.)
- A Dictionary of the English Language (1755)
- The History of Rasselas, Prince of Abyssinia (1759), in 2 vols.
- The Plays of William Shakespeare (1765)
- A Journey to the Western Islands of Scotland (1775)
- The Works of the English Poets (1779)
- Biographical History of the English Poets
- Character of Swift's Writings (c. 1779-1781)
- The Modern Traveller (1776) external link
- The Lives of the Most Eminent English Poets (1794 corrected edition)
Essays, Pamphlets, PeriodicalsEdit
- A History and Defence of Magna Charta (1769)
- Marmor Norfolciense, Or, An Essay on an Ancient Prophetical Inscription, in Monkish Rhyme (1775)
- An essay concerning parliaments at a certainty; or, The Kalends of May (1693)
- The Plan of a Dictionary of the English Language (1747)
- The Rambler (1759) .
- The Idler (1767) -
- Adventurer external link
- Political tracts (1776), containing:
- A Voyage to Abyssinia (1735), by Father Jerome Lobo.
Works about JohnsonEdit
- Life of Johnson, by James Boswell
- A Reminiscence of Dr. Samuel Johnson, by H. P. Lovecraft
- Samuel Johnson (1878), by Leslie Stephen
- An Essay on the Life and Genius of Samuel Johnson (1792), by Arthur Murphy,
- "Johnsoniana in Studies of a Biographer (1898) by Leslie Stephen
- "Samuel Johnson" in Essays and Addresses (1907) by Richard Claverhouse Jebb
- Samuel Johnson: the Leslie Stephen lecture (1907), a lecture by Walter Alexander Raleigh
- Six Essays on Johnson, by Sir Walter Raleigh (1910)
- Thomas Seccombe) (with footnote and afterword by