Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities (1879)/Alpha Kappa Phi
This fraternity was instituted in the South previous to 1861. The exact date is unknown, as all the records were lost or destroyed during the Rebellion. After 1864 several chapters were revived, the Psi Chapter, at Mississippi University, being re-established in 1867. The fraternity still has some four or five chapters. It has claimed to have had chapters in the Northern States, but the claim cannot be substantiated. The badge of the society is a shield with concavely-curved sides, displaying at the top a pair of clasped hands, in the centre the letters "ΑΚΦ," and, below, a chain of three links encircling the letters "ααπ."
The Psi Chapter became the Beta Beta of Beta Theta Pi in 1879.