Author:Arthur Gardiner Butler
|←Author Index: Bu||Arthur Gardiner Butler
|English entomologist, arachnologist and ornithologist; worked at the British Museum on the taxonomy of birds, insects, and spiders|
Wikispecies provides a fuller list and links to digitised papers by Gardiner.
- "Monograph of the species of Charaxes, a genus of diurnal Lepidoptera". Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1865:622–639 (1866)
- Catalogue of Diurnal Lepidoptera of the Family Satyridae in the Collection of the British Museum (1868)
- Catalogue of Diurnal Lepidoptera Described by Fabricius in the Collection of the British Museum (1870)
- Lepidoptera Exotica, or, Descriptions and Illustrations of Exotic Lepidoptera (1869–1874)
- Tropical Butterflies and Moths (1873)
- Catalogue of the Lepidoptera of New Zealand (1874)
- The butterflies of Malacca (1879).
- "Catalogue of the Butterflies of New Zealand" (1880)
- with Herbert Druce (1846–1913), "Descriptions of New Genera and Species of Lepidoptera from Costa Rica". Cistula entomologica, 1: 95–118 (1872).
- "On a Collection of Lepidoptera from Southern Africa, with Descriptions of New Genera and Species" Annals and Magazine of Natural History (4) 16 (96): 394–420 (1875)
- "Descriptions of Some New Lepidoptera from Kilima-njaro" Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1888: 91–98 (1888)
- "On Two Collection of Lepidoptera Sent by H. H. Johnston, Esq., C.B., From British Central Africa" Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1893: 643–684, pl. 60 (1894)
- "Description of a New Species of Butterfly of the Genus Amauris Obtained by Mr. Scott Elliot in East Central Africa" Annals and Magazine of Natural History (6) 16 (91): 122–123 (1895)
- On Lepidoptera recently collected in British East Africa by Mr. G. F. Scott Elliot Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1895: 722–742, pl. 42-43 (1896)
- "On Two Collections of Lepidoptera Made by Mr R. Crawshay in Nyasa-land" Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1896: 817–850, pl. 41-42 (1897)
- British Birds' Eggs: A Handbook of British Oölogy. London : E.W. Janson (1886)
- Butler, Arthur G.; Mathew, Rev. Murray A.; Forbes, Henry O.; Cordeaux, John; Tegetmeier, W.B.; Slater, Rev. Henry H.; Aplin, O.V.; Macpherson, Rev. H.A. (1896). British Birds with their Nests and Eggs. London: Brumby & Clarke. (in six volumes, published 1896-1898; Butler wrote the first two volume on the Order Passeres and the text about the Order Picariæ in vol. 3).
- Foreign Bird Keeping. London : The Feathered World (1899/1900, in two volumes)
- Foreign Birds for Cage and Aviary. London : The Feathered World (1910, in two volumes)
Contributions to The ZoologistEdit
- Butler, A.G. (1897). "The Flight of the Swift". The Zoologist. 4th series, vol 1 (issue 667, January—section 'Notes and Queries'): 36.
- —— (1897). "Change of Plumage in the American Nonpareil Finch". The Zoologist. 4th series, vol 1 (issue 673, July—section 'Notes and Queries'): 335–336.
- —— (1897). "Inherited Habit in Birds". The Zoologist. 4th series, vol 1 (issue 674, August—section 'Notes and Queries'): 367–368.
- Butler, Arthur Gardiner, with: Butler, Arthur George (1898). "On the first Primary in certain Passerine birds". The Zoologist. 4th series, vol 2 (issue 684, June): 241–244.
- —— (1900). "On Sexual Differences in the Wing of the House-Sparrow (Passer domesticus)". The Zoologist. 4th series, vol 4 (issue 704, February): 74–75.
- Butler, A.G. (1900). "Obituary for Dr. Karl Russ". The Zoologist. 4th series, vol 4 (issue 704, February): 81. (signed as: "A.G.B.")
- The same abbreviation is used for instance in: Butler 1896 (vol. 1), p. 93.